Monday, January 19, 2009

Genesis Bible Study Ch. 33 & 34

CHAPTER 33: Jacob and Esau reunite...As Jacob approached Esau he could see he (Esau) had with him 400 men..So Jacob split up the children of Leah and Rachael. As Jacob got closer to Esau he bowed down SEVEN times ( my footnote said this was an act of total submission). Esau ran to meet Jacob they hugged and wept!! Esau said he didn't need the gifts Jacob had sent ahead of his arrival because he already had what he needed....but Jacob insisted for Esau to accept them so he did.
CHAPTER 34: Dinah the daughter of Leah and Jacob decided to go and visit some of the women in this new land. VERSE 2 When Shechem, son of Hamor the Hivite, the ruler of that area saw her, he took her and violated her.
VERSE 3 His (Shechem) heart was drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob, and he loved the girl and spoke tenderly to her.
When Jacob and his sons heard of about what had happened they were filled with grief, and fury it says in verse 7. This man had brought disgrace to Jacob's daughter.
VERSE 11-12 Shechem said to Dinah's father and brothers, "Let me find favor in your eyes, and I will give you whatever you ask. Make the price for the bride and the gift I am to bring as great as you like, and I'll pay whatever you ask me. Only give me the girl as my wife."
VERSE15 We will give you our consent to you on one condition only: that you become like us by circumcising all your males. ( This answer was out of the deceit of Jacob's sons...they didn't really intend to follow through with giving away Dinah.)
VERSE 25 Three days later, while all of them were still in pain, two of Jacob's sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, took their swords and attacked the inspecting city, killing every male.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in!!! Go on tell me what's on your mind...I would LOVE to know!!!

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster