Thursday, April 22, 2010

Just for the JOY of it!

It's Thursday and that means it time for Just for the JOY of it!

This week has been a HUGE week for us here at the Gaertegang! We have been here at this 1900 Farmhouse for over 7 years. When we moved in one of the things on our someday wishlist was to have a deck here off the back of the house (which is where everyone enters our house.) I am thrilled that this "wish" has become a reality...So very thankful...
 Here is the before picture....actually taken a week or so before they came to put the deck up....as you can see, a HUGE cement slab...unsightly to say the least!
 This was were the contractor stopped after just one full day!! I could not believe how much they got done...and did I mention that they actually showed up a day early to start the project. Yahooo!
 The kids were so funny...they didn't want to miss any of the action. It was great motivation to get their school work done for the day so they could go out to the swing set or trampoline to watch the guys work. One of the kids even said, "Mom you should just let us have the day off so we can go watch them, because learning to build a deck is totally education." (can you guess which one said this?) Well I don't deny that it's good learning....if you were actually helping them side by side...but they would not be doing that...so they were bummed when I pulled out their daily work and handed it to them...smiling and saying"Nice try!"
 Here it is finished. This is a view of when we walk out our door and look to the right. The deck measures 20X14 so I think we should have some room to stretch out a bit.
 I wanted a nice wide stairway that flared just a bit at the bottom. The only thing I didn't consider was how that little side walk would look with an 8 ft opening. I don't like that....so I am trying to brain storm what to do...that won't break the bank to make it look right......any suggestions...or volunteers for helping me work...smile!
 This is the view from the swing set. I decided to go with the boards on the bottom instead of lattice. One reason being that I knew it would only be a matter of time until the boys #1 ran into it with something #2 kicked it for some unknown reason #3 just plain ruined part of it because they are boys and that seems to be what they do without trying. Plus I am just not a big fan of the lattice.
 Zach is standing at the door looking at the new deck here...He approves! We are all thrilled to have a place to hang out and visit with each, a place to eat on all those great weather days, a place to entertain, and I could go on  and on! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, to Denny Trump Inc. for such a fantastic job and professional manner is which their staff works. You were worth every penny!

Now we have to find just the right patio furniture to put out on the deck. I would love to hear suggestions for all you blessed people who already have a deck with furniture. What materials do you recommend wicker, aluminum, heavy plastic? I would love to hear any and all comments about what works or hasn't worked well for all of you.

I will be sure to update you all on how it looks when I get it all "flowered up" and we have our furniture!



DANIELLE

13 comments:

The Brass and Woodwind Shop said...

WOW! That is a very large deck. What a nice place to hang out and have some lovely flowersa around it. I'm stopping by from Just for the Joy of it.

Mominin said...

It looks GREAT!!

Chrissy said...

Great deck! We have aluminum furniture. I like it because it is pretty much maintenance free, easy to clean/hose off and doesn't rust. We looked everywhere (patio furniture stores, department stores, big box hardware stores) and we ended up getting ours at K-mart. They really had a large selection and a good price for aluminum which can be a little expensive.

Anonymous said...

the deck looks GREAT!! u could get furniture that is made out of the decking board that you never have to stain or anything and it looks good forever. it is expensive but you never have to do anything to it and it is good forever!
Christa

Jen said...

Wow! Outdoor living here we come!
What a handsome deck indeed!

Jamie said...

Nice! I love how homeschooled kids are always trying to pull the "but it's so educational!" They think they are so smart! :)

Enjoy your new outdoor getaway!

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness, you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE it! What a perfect deck for the whole family to enjoy. And I like the siding (although i don't like lattice either!).

I was thinking that if you made the sidewalk larger near the steps and then have it taper into the existing walk that might look better and not cost as much...?

Thanks for joining in!

Money Saving Maine-iac said...

How exciting! You are going to enjoy so many family gatherings there. I know when we built ours. I stood out there on the empty deck, just drinking my coffee, not believing it was really here. Before you start filling it, be sure to dance on that big dance floor!

Thanks for sharing! Stopping over from Good, True & Beautiful,
Teresa

Kelly said...

What a beautiful deck!! You'll have so much room for get-togethers!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Hope said...

Enjoy!

Megan said...

That looks awesome!!!

We have used black wrought iron patio furniture and have loved it! No maintenance and it hasn't changed since the day we bought it about 4 years ago, oh and no cushions that get wet or anything like that!

I'm sure you'll find just the perfect thing for your family!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, wow! It looks great!

Tristen@blissfulchaos said...

Thanks for stopping by! Love the new deck. What an amazing transformation!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in!!! Go on tell me what's on your mind...I would LOVE to know!!!

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster