Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Is There A Difference Between Cheap & Frugal?

The question "Is there a difference between CHEAP & FRUGAL?
Webster's dictionary defines them like this.
Cheap = low in price, worth more than the price, easily got, of little value, stingy
Frugal  = not wasteful, thrifty, inexpensive or meager.

I am not really sure what prompted this thought, but it came to mind and I wanted to ask you all what you think. There may be a fine line between the two, but I think there is a clear difference.

To me, if someone calls me cheap, which has happened on more than one occasion, that gives off negative vibe. If someone calls me frugal I would take that as a compliment. I think that many people use these words interchangeably without a second thought.

To me, being cheap means paying less for something no matter the means...dishonest....or otherwise. Being cheap means you don't care who you have to step on to get the deal as long as you come out on top saving $$$. 

In my opinion, being frugal means making intentional decisions on all your purchases no matter how small they may seem. Being frugal is a thoughtful way of being a steward of the money you have been given  to manage.

What do you all think? Do you think there is a difference? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

DANIELLE

2 comments:

Mandee said...

Following you back!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Have a great week! :)

Sab said...

Yes! Definetly a difference! I prefer the word frugal for sure (although I think I've used them interchangeably in describing myself... ah well).

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in!!! Go on tell me what's on your mind...I would LOVE to know!!!

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster